Dried Cherry-Lemon Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup firm butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Mariani Dried Cherries
- About 1 tablespoon milk
- 1. Heat oven to 425°F. In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, lemon peel, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Cut in butter, using pastry blender (or pulling 2 table knives through ingredients in opposite directions), until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in enough buttermilk so dough leaves the side of the bowl and forms a ball. Stir in cherries.
- 2. On an ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by 1/3 cupfuls about 1 inch apart. Brush with milk.
- 3. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until light brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet and serve warm or cool.