Spring is here! Warmer days, lovely nights, and plenty of sunshine – now is the perfect time to refresh your eating habits for a healthy and active Spring and Summer. Here are a few tips on how to “spring clean” your diet:
- Start by spring cleaning your kitchen! Organize your pantry, moving healthier snacks upfront, and replacing the decadent heavy holiday foods. Nuts and dried fruit are easy, lighter snacks to fuel your Spring fun.
- Warmer weather naturally calls for lighter fare, salads being the obvious go-to. Make your salads absolutely craveable with grilled chicken, fresh red bell peppers, feta cheese, and Mariani Nut & Cherries Toppers. The fiber found in fresh lettuce like romaine helps to “spring clean” your intestines, flushing out the heaviness found in winter foods.
- Take advantage of the plethora of fresh produce available and give gazpacho ( cool, refreshing soups made with real, nutritious fruit and vegetables) a try in lieu of heavy creamier soups. Start by tossing fresh tomatoes, fresh cucumbers, some fresh onion, a little fresh garlic, a splash of red wine vinegar, and good olive oil in a blender. Blend until smooth and for an extra punch, serve chilled topped with Mariani Smoky Southwest Toppers.
- Pick at least one day a week to swap meat with a veggie alternative, like portobello mushrooms. Super hearty, portobello mushrooms are delicious on the grill with all the same marinades and seasonings you’d use for steak.
- Start your day right with a fresh veggie juice or berry smoothie. Full of nutrients and fiber, both smoothies and fresh juices offer much-needed hydration as temperatures rise. This recipe is a great way to also get a dose of gut-healthy probiotics!