Blueberry Whiskey Sour
For the blueberry base:
- 1 (3.5ounce) bag Mariani Family Wild Dried Blueberries
- ¾ cup water
- 1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3 strips lemon peel
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the cocktail:
- 1 ½ ounces blueberry base
- 2 ounces bourbon whiskey
- 3 dashes angostura bitters
- 1 lemon twist, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the dried blueberries, water, ginger, lemon peel and salt. (Do not add lemon juice yet!) Place over medium high heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the blueberries are very soft and the liquid is reduced slightly, about 4 minutes. Allow the mixture to infuse and cool in the pan, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard the ginger and lemon peel.
- Transfer the contents of the pan along with the lemon juice to the pitcher of a high-speed blender or smoothie blender. Blend on high, scraping down the sides as needed, for about 1 minute or until very smooth. The blueberry base can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- To a cocktail shaker filled with ice add the blueberry base, bourbon and bitters. Place the lid on tight and shake until the outside of the shaker is frosted, about 30 seconds. Strain into a coupe glass or over a single large rock in a rocks glass. Garnish with a lemon twist if desired.