Basmati Rice Salad with Bitter Greens and Dried Pineapple
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed well and drained
- Kosher salt
- 1 small red onion, halved and very thinly sliced lengthwise
- 6 Tablespoons Champagne or prosecco vinegar
- 6 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2½ ounces mixed baby or torn bitter greens, such as Swiss chard, kale, and arugula
- 1 small radicchio, cored and chopped
- 1 Belgian endive, cored and chopped
- 6 Mariani No Sugar Added Pineapple
- wheels, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup roasted shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1. In a medium saucepan, bring 1¼ cups of water to a boil. Add the rice and a generous pinch of salt. Stir once, cover, and cook over low heat until the water is absorbed, and the rice is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let steam, covered, for 20 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork, then spread it on a large baking sheet to cool completely.
- 2. Meanwhile, fill a medium bowl with ice and water. Add the onion and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain well and spread on a towel to dry.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar with the olive oil, Dijon, honey, and garlic. Season the dressing with salt and pepper. Add the mixed greens, radicchio, endive, dried pineapple, pistachios, and cooled rice; toss well. Season the salad generously with salt and pepper; toss again. Serve.