Mariani Mango Goat Cheese Salad
For the Dressing
- 1 piece dried mango, soaked overnight
- 3/4 cup sunflower seed oil or other neutral oil
- ¼ cup champagne vinegar
- Juice from one orange
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Salad
- 1 sweet potato, halved lengthwise and cut into thin wedges
- ½ red onion, quartered and skin removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for greasing the baking sheet
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 5 ounces goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried mango, soaked overnight and finely minced
- 1 cup sliced almonds, divided (1/2 cup for the salad; ½ cup finely minced for the goat cheese)
- 8 cups mixed baby greens, cleaned and dried
- 1 cup fresh basil/parsley/mint leaves, whole
- 1 1/2 cups black/forbidden rice, cooked
- 1. Add the mango, oil, champagne vinegar, juice from the orange, honey, garlic and salt to a blender and mix on high speed until the mango is broken up and the mixture is completely emulsified.
- 2. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to thin to the desired consistency. Set aside.
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Cover a baking sheet in foil and then lightly coat with olive oil. Place the sweet potatoes and onions on the baking sheet and toss with the olive oil.
- 2. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the top and roast in the center of the oven for 15-20 minutes, turning the slices mid-way through so they brown evenly. Set aside.
- 3. Place the finely minced almonds in a bowl. In another bowl, combine the goat cheese and minced mango. Roll 1 teaspoon of mango-goat cheese into a ball and then roll in the finely minced almonds and place on the plate. Once all of the goat cheese is coated and rolled, place the plate in the fridge while you finish assembling the salad.
- 4. Add the salad greens and herbs to a large bowl along with the sweet potatoes, onions, goat cheese balls, almond slices and black rice. Toss with half of the salad dressing and serve remaining dressing on the side. This is delicious with roast chicken.